Monday, April 18, 2011

I Have Been Forgiven Much

36 When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. 37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. 38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

Luke 7:36-47

People who do not know the darkness in my heart may look at my life and assume I am a "good" person. NO! I am not a good person! The good you see in me is Jesus Christ. Apart from Him I am incredibly broken and wayward. I cannot even imagine the life I would now be living if I did not know Jesus. It is His grace and love which restrains me from pursing the treasures and pleasures of this world.

Countless times I have rejected Christ. Countless times I have defamed His glory. Countless times I have rebelled against Him. My love and passion for Jesus Christ stem from deep awareness of my own failings. Truly I have been forgiven much!

While I was still sinning against Him, Christ died for me. He who knew no sin became sin for me so that in Him I might become the righteousness of God! Who am I to know Christ? Who am I to know freedom and healing in Him? Who am I to know perfect love? Who am I to know unending joy? Who am I to have the hope of Heaven because I have the Son?

I pour out my life for Christ not to be more spiritual or to be a better person. I pour out my life for Christ because I know how incredibly, incredibly, incredibly unworthy I am to know Him! In response to His free gift of life and forgiveness my heart fills with indescribable gratitude. He gave everything for me; the least I can do is give everything for Him!


"You're With Us" by Hillsong United


Beautiful God

Laying Your majesty aside

You reached out in love to show me life

Lifted from darkness into light

King for a slave

Trading Your righteousness for shame

Despite all my pride and foolish ways

Caught in Your infinite embrace

And I

Find myself here on my knees again

Caught up in grace like an avalanche

Nothing compares to this love, love, love

Burning in my heart


No comments:

Post a Comment